Thursday, December 27, 2007

My friend Emily



This is my friend Emily. She is also one of my students. Emily was diagnosed last year with Leukemia and just returned to school a couple of months ago. Blaine is Emily's classmate and he has been praying hard for her recovery and return to home and school. Obviously, Emily is doing great and is just an inspiration to everyone she comes in contact with.
I will NEVER forget the day she returned to school for the first time since last Easter. She was so excited to be back, she could have thrown herself away.
Although I would never wish any illness on a child, I will tell you that this particular trial in Emily's life gave life back to others. I am so impressed at what Emily has done with her trial and how she has made a difference to her family, friends and the community alike.
This Christmas, I had the opportunity to share in Emily's hope for the holiday. Emily wanted to make the children on the 2nd floor of Rainbow Babies and Children Hospital happy for Christmas. When all was said and done, Emily, with the help of her family, was able to collect enough items to fill a Uhaul truck and collected over $8,000 for families having trouble meeting their medical bills.
I was so grateful to be a part of this Hope for the Holidays. Ethan and Blaine came along with me and I was so happy to see them happy about serving others.
On Christmas Eve, I returned with a friend and Emily's family to bring dinner to the staff who were working over the holiday.
I can only hope that we are able to fill another truck next year! Emily, you have a special spirit and I'm so happy to know you!

No comments: